This new recipe I am about to share was inspired by a Mexican masterclass I attended. From the class I learnt a few nicks and necks about Mexican cuisine! 3 core ingredients found in a mexican dish are chili, corn and lime. So I crafted my dish around these 3 ingredients, with a little twists here and there.
So today, I am sharing my grilled corn and squid salsa! It is a very simple dish, goes well with chips, in wraps or with your grilled chicken! Let your imagination run wild while pairing this salsa.
It is an easy dish with simple steps however here are what you need to take note!
- Get a beautiful charred surface on your corn! That would give you colours and a pack full of flavours!
- Use smoky herbs and spices such as coriander, paprika, red/green chili and black pepper. You want to get smoky flavours in the fastest and most effective way possible.
- Chose the right protein. I chose squid as it cooks fast and it remains juicy and fresh, unlike chicken, which might get dried up while cooking and the tendency of it overcooking is high!
- You want colours! As this is a salsa, you want it fresh and sexy looking with all the vibrant colours! Colours from the corn, chilies, red onion etc would make your dish grabbing for attention.
I had an incredible time crafting this recipe out, together with what it would be paired with. From the grilling to slicing to eating, was all good fun! So without further ado, here is my grilled corn and squid salsa!
Grilled Corn and Squid Salsa
- 2 whole corns
- 1 whole squid, with tentacles too (that’s the best bit)
- 1 whole red onion, diced
- 1 whole green and red chili, sliced (Add more if you like it spicy)
- Handful of coriander and mint, chopped
- the juice of a whole lime
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Blanch the corn in heavily salted boiling water
- Rub paprika and salt onto blanched corn, rub it to marinate them well.
- Once the corn is well coated with paprika and salt, grill them till they are charred on all sides
- Once the corn are grilled and have beautiful charred surfaces, set them aside to cool
- In a mixing bowl, add herbs, red onion, chilies and toss it with lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Adjust the seasoning to your preferences
- For the squid, your choice of boiling it or grilling them. Once they are cooked, cut them into small cubes and add them into the herbs and chilies mixture
- Once the corn are cooled, remove them from the cob and add them into the mixing bowl together with the squid and herbs mixture.
- Give them a good toss and taste as you go. You might need to add more lime juice or salt
- And viola! You could serve them as a side dip to your tortilla chips or add them into your wraps for lunch or make little wonton cups to serve them in.
This dish have become a favourite salsa of mine, it is fresh, simple and delicious! Filled with fiber and good flavours from the herbs and grilled corn. I highly recommend you try this salsa and share it with your partner, your family and friends! It is one of my utmost favourite dish and I hope you like it too!
Well that is it for today folks! I hope you enjoyed this recipe and I have many more recipe to come, so stay tune and till next time, see you!
Come connect with me on…
Facebook page at Big On Food
My Trending Stories- Pei Gee Tan
Or, drop me a mail at TPG22@hotmail.com
Spread Love & Be Kind! Pei Gee