Hi all! I am back with another meatless recipe! The recipe today was created with zero inspiration but a craving for sweet potato and tofu! So without further ado, let’s get started with the recipe.
I created this dish because I wanted a protein and carbohydrate filled dish, while staying meatless. I was actually contemplating on potato and tofu, however I did not like the colour contrast potato gave when put together with tofu, therefore I used sweet potato and the dish came out better than I expected.
I started with 2 firm medium sized tofu, ‘digging’ a hole in the middle, saving the scraps as well, as they could be added into the mash sweet potatoes.
To make the mash, steam sweet potatoes then mash them up and season to your liking. I love mine with a hint of Indian taste to it, therefore I added a touch of cumin and garam masala. Remember to heavily salt your mash as the flavours are solely coming from them.
I steamed the entire dish as I did not want to pan-fry or bake as it would dry them up and add unnecessary oil to the dish. All I wanted was a healthy protein-carbohydrate filled dish and I would say it satisfied all the criteria.
Overall this dish was fun to make, I enjoyed it so much. It could be brought to school in a lunchbox or enjoyed at a picnic. The only issue was that 1 tofu was not enough to fill me up, therefore I accompanied mine with homemade quinoa. You could have yours with a bed of salad greens or soba noodles. Be creative and explore all things, including those in your fridge! Cooking is about creativity and colours and imagination. If you could imagine it, why can’t you make it happen!
Sweet Potato Mash in Tofu
- 1 orange sweet potato
- 2 firm tofu
- 4-5 white button mushrooms
- Handful of coriander
- Touch of prefered spices and herbs (I used cumin, garam masala and paprika)
- Salt and Pepper
- Steam sweet potato till it is soft enough to mash.
- Once sweet potatoes are mashed, season it with salt, pepper and herbs and spices
- Chop button mushrooms till fine. Lightly fry them in a saucepan with a dash of olive oil
- After the mushrooms have softened, pour them into the mash, together with chopped coriander
- Give the mash a good mix and then set it aside.
- Make a well in the firm tofu, with the scraps added into the mash.
- Before you start filling the tofu, start boiling a pot of water filled to the middle for steaming.
- To fill the tofu, take a spoonful of the mash and stuff the tofu with the mashed sweet potato.
- After the tofu are filled, steam them for about 10 minutes.
- Then viola! You got yourself a stuffed tofu with sweet potato mash! Enjoy it with hot sauce or whatever sauce you desire.
The dish was simple yet appealing. It was delicious and filled with good nutrients and fiber! I was glad I tried this recipe out despite the fact that I had no idea what the outcome would be. This is a dish I would like to take to another level with more complex flavours and ingredients. So I hope you would try this recipe out and have as much fun as I had.
Thank you for reading and till next time, See You!
Spread Love & Be Kind. Love, Pei Gee
Come get social with me on…
Or, drop me an email at TPG22@hotmail.com