Here is another meatless recipe to add to your Meatless Mondays! I am sure there are many such recipes out there but I would love to share mine with you! Sit back and enjoy!
I got idea of a quinoa bowl as I needed a quick dinner and I coincidentally have cooked quinoa on hand. This bowl is the easiest bowl you would ever do. There are not much cooking involved, which provides you the maximum nutrients in the ingredients!
In my bowl, there are red kidney beans and corn. I bought the ready-to-eat can beans and corn, all you have to do is drain them. Toss them with the quinoa, with fresh parsley, season with olive oil, salt and pepper and add other spices and herbs to give them more kick!
The other ingredient I added were bell pepper/capiscum. I fried them in shallow oil for a few minutes as I did not want raw capisum in my bowl, however if you prefer your capisums crunchy and juicy, feel free to add them raw. That is pretty much all there is to my quinoa bowl.
Other alternatives are adding avocado, chickpea, mango, even cubes of meat if you want it as a meat alternative. I just wanted full carbohydrates, fibre and protein in a bowl. It filled me up rather well as I had some sides as well.
My sides were mushrooms with a garlic-parsley butter. They were cooked very simply with the butter on the cap of the mushrooms. Simple ingredients at it’s best.
Meatless Mexican Quinoa Bowl
- 1/2 of cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of water (Use vegetable stock for more flavour)
- 1/2 can of red-kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 packet of corn, drained
- 1/4 of green/red/yellow capsicum
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley (Use dried if you do not have fresh parsley on hand)
- Olive oil, salt, pepper for seasoning
- About 2-3 mushrooms (Use portobello mushroom for my tummy-filling. I had to use shitaka mushrooms as my nearby supermarket ran out of portobello mushroom)
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoon of butter, unsalted
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Cook quinoa in a saucepan with water. Season well with salt.
- Slice the capisum into thin slices and fry them in shallow oil. To maintain crunchiness in them, fry them for no more than 2 minutes.
- Once quinoa is cooked (It would take about 20-30 minutes),in a large bowl, toss quinoa, capsicum, corn, beans and fresh chopped parsley together. Season with a good amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Do add cumin or paprika for more mediterranean flavours.
- To cook the mushrooms, prepare the garlic-parsley butter by melting butter in a microwave. Once the butter have melted, add the chopped parsley and garlic into the butter.
- On a pan with a little amount of oil, add mushrooms cap facing down, with the gills showing. Add the butter mixture into the gills and cover the pan.
- Allow the steam to cook the mushrooms. The mushrooms should be cooked in about 7 to 10 minutes.
- To plate, I rested the mushrooms on a bed of fresh spinach and quinoa on the side.
There you go! My Healthy and meatless mexican quinoa bowl. I ate it with hot sauce because hot sauce goes well with anything! I hope you have enjoyed this recipe and wish that you could give it a shot! Till next time, See you.
Spread Love & Be Kind. Xoxo Pei Gee
Stay connected with me on…
Or drop me a mail at TPG22@hotmail.com