Hi there! It has been a while since I wrote on this blog and so, I shall share something yummy and colourful. It is simple, easy and can be done under 30 minutes! It is poached egg on rye bread with mango salsa.
You just need to purchase rye bread and maybe mango if you do not have them at home. So without further ado, let’s begin.
My rye bread were made in school with the formulations provided by the chefs in school, therefore unfortunately, I could not share the recipe. But fret not as you could just purchase any artisan bread from your local bakery. The fresher it is, the better. I merely toasted them with a sprinkle of olive oil. Then after they are toasted, rub them with an open surfaced garlic. Do not this step if you dislike the aroma of a garlic.
Next is the salsa. I made mango salsa as I had them on hand. You could do pineapple salsa or tomato salsa to go along with your bread, whatever is good with you! My mango salsa consisted of sun-dried tomatoes, mint, olive oil and corn. Simply toss them together and season with salt and pepper. Done in under 10 minutes!
Now, you have come to the special bit. The sauce. To be very honest, all types of sauces go along with this dish. I simply made a mixture of greek yogurt, mustard and honey. You could have hollandaise sauce, cheese sauce and even pesto if you are so in love with herbs!
It is a dish that could be enjoyed for brunch because it is so pretty and so easy to make. I made use of the bread I baked in school and so satisfied that I was able to craft out something so simple yet flavourful. I hope this dish bring smiles on your faces and your tummy!
Poached Egg on Rye bread with Mango salsa
Serves 1 or 2
- A slice or 2 of rye bread (Ciabatta works as well)
- Half a clove of garlic (Just for flavouring the bread, omit this if you do not like the aroma of garlic)
- One fresh egg
- One ripe mango (The sweeter, the better)
- About 3 full slices of sun-dried tomatoes, sliced into thin stripes
- 1/2 pack of corn, ready-to-eat
- Handful of mint leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- About 3 tablespoon of greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- about 1/2 tablespoon of honey
- Toast bread with a splash of olive oil. Once toasted, rub opened garlic surface onto the bread.
- Toss mango, corn, sliced sun-dried tomatoes, mint leaves and olive oil together
- Bring a medium saucepan to a slow simmer. Add a splash of white vinegar if you like as that would solidify the egg whites faster, however this step is unnecessary.
- Crack egg on a separate bowl to prevent breaking of egg yolk. Once there are small bubbles appearing on the bottom of the pan, slowly lower egg into the simmering water. Leave it undisturbed for about 5-8 minutes.
- Use a sieve-spoon to scoop up the egg, letting a paper towel to drain the excess moisture.
- Assemble the dish by placing the poached egg on the toasted bread, with the salsa on the poached egg. Spoon a spoonful of sauce onto the egg and Viola!
Well, that is it for today guys! I hope you have enjoyed this post and would attempt this at home!
Spread Love and Be Kind! Xoxo Pei Gee
Be social with me on …
Or, drop me a mail at TPG22@hotmail.com