I woke up on a Monday morning, debating what to have for lunch. I was conflicted. I had to decide whether to head out for lunch or cook it myself. And I am glad to say I made the right decision!
It was tough thinking of what to cook for lunch, I had to make use of the ingredients that are available at home as I was not ready to head out to buy them. I looked through the fridges, drawers and cupboard at home, trying to get ideas of what to make. In the fridge, there was firm tofu, barley and fresh mushrooms. I roughly figured out what I could do with them. I decided to make Tofu Patty!
I choose to create ‘freestyle’ tofu patties, meant that I did not use a recipe for this patty. Pretty insane I know, but that’s the fun of cooking right! So firstly I prepped the ingredients, meant slicing, chopping and grating! I added chopped fresh mushrooms and chilli and grated garlic and ginger!
Now here comes the fun part, if you are doing this recipe with children, kindly ask them to join in! They could mash the firm tofu with all the added ingredients. Having children involve in the cooking process would spike their interest in their own food and would more likely to devour the dish!
I did not add any binder to the patty, therefore you have to be extremely careful when coating your patties with flour and egg wash. I did everything by hand, from shaping the patties to placing them onto the pan. I merely prepared plain flour and an egg wash to coat the tofu patties before it hits the pan!
Onto the sauce now! How can you not have sauce on sandwiches with patty! I made my sauce a little special as I wanted a BBQ sauce, but homemade! Again, this recipe for the sauce was from my brilliant creative imagination. I combined tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, honey, grated garlic and chilli and lemon juice. I tasted as I made the sauce to adjust the flavour to my liking. Well, I could not say it was close to barbecue sauce, however the sauce had a kick of spiciness and tanginess and it went quite well with the tofu patty!
Overall, I find tofu patty a joy to make. It is simple, kid-friendly and also healthy. If you are anti-vegetarian, feel free to add bacon bits in the patty, it would add saltiness.
- 1 firm tofu
- 3-5 pieces of fresh button mushroom (brown or white)
- 1/2 chilli ( Omit if you do not like spice)
- 2 tablespoon cooked barley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic and ginger
- Butter to either fry the patty or/and caramelised onions
- Herbs to season (I used oregano and parsley)
- Salt and pepper to season
- Flour to coat
- 1 egg ( for egg wash)
- Bread of your choice for the sandwich
- Half an onion, sliced
Sauce (Please taste according to one’s liking):
- 2-3 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- about 1-2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Chop mushroom and chilli into small pieces, and set aside.
- Mash firm tofu with hands or whatever tools you desire, till tofu breaks apart.
- Add barley, mushroom and chilli into mashed tofu
- Season tofu with salt and pepper and herbs
- Place pan on a medium heat and pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Shape the tofu into patties and dust with plain flour, then dip them into egg wash
- When the pan is heated, gently place the patty into the pan
- Once the underside of the patty changes into a brown colour, flip to the other side
- Place cheese on top of the patty
- While the cheese is melting, you could start making your sauce! To make the sauce, just mix everything in a bowl, and taste and adjust the flavour according to your liking!
- Now here comes the multi-tasking, to have caramelised onions, place a knob of butter to a hot pan, and add sliced onion.
- Season onions and allow it to caramelised, tossing it a few times, so that it would not burn.
- When the onions are turning soft, add 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar into onions.
- After the onions have soaked up the vinegar and turned soft, off the heat and set aside.
- Now back to the patties,when the other side of the patty is turning brown, place it above your bread, cheese side up, and coat the patty with the sauce.
- Grab a spoonful of onions onto the patty and serve!
I have to agree that this recipe has quite a number of steps but trust me, it is all worth it. It is healthy, meatless and a burst of flavours and texture!
I hope you have enjoyed this recipe and would have a blast making the tofu-patties! Just remember to have fun and taste as you go. Till the next time, Ciao~