A few weeks ago, I made some brioche bread! The bread was rather disappointing as it was dense and no so fluffy. Therefore I decided to use the leftover bread to make bread pudding! I think it was the wisest decision I ever made as the results were pretty flavourful. If you do not have leftover bread, use any kind of bread you have on hand. I used leftover bread was because my family could not finish the loaf of bread and the bread would absorb the liquid for the pudding well, therefore my wisest decision! 😀
I was pretty nervous to try this recipe as it was my very first making bread pudding, so I was a newbie and inexperience, but nonetheless, I gave it a shot.
The ingredients required were available at home so it made things fairly simple. This is practically a fuss-free recipe! It is easy, delicious and simple.
I made the liquid mixture first as it would make minimum mess. The mixture consists of eggs, cinnamon, milk, vanilla and salt. Then, here comes the messy part! I need to grease the baking dish, butter the bread and sprinkle sugar on the bread.
Time’s up and I placed the baking dish on a baking tray as I was afraid the liquid mixture would spill when baked. And true enough, it spilled. So to all doing bread pudding, place your baking dish on a baking tray before baking.
I was pretty satisfied with the results of the pudding, considering it was my first time making them. The inside of pudding was soft and wobbly, which is really cute. One issues from my pudding was that it was not sweet enough, therefore while eating, I poured honey on the pudding and then I indulged!
Traditional British Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
8 slices white bread
3 ounces sultanas (85g)
4 ounces brown sugar (113g)
3 cups whole milk
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
butter (for buttering the bread and greasing the baking dish)
1. Preaheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C)
2. Grease an oven proof baking dish.
3. Evenly butter each of the slices of bread on both sides, then cut each slice into 4 triangles.
4. Place a layer of the buttered bread on the bottom of the dish, slightly overlapping each triangle.
5. Sprinkle sultanas and brown sugar evenly across the bread for the second layer.
6. Continue layering bread then sultanas and brown sugar until all the bread is used.
7. Sprinkle the top of the pudding with sultanas and sugar.
8. Beat together the milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Pour this mixture on top of everything.Allow to stand for 30 minutes so the liquid is fully absorbed.
9. Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
Overall, making bread pudding was great fun and thankfully, the results was pretty good. This is a recipe that people of all ages would enjoy and I enjoyed the pudding with my family and I hope you too! I hope you have enjoyed this recipe and till the next time, Ciao~
Recipe for the bread pudding was from Moms Who Think: http://www.momswhothink.com/easy-recipes/bread-pudding-recipe.html