And we have come to the last part of the budget meal! Lunch-time! I do not usually take lunch time seriously, I always toss in whatever there is in the fridge and for today, I had my special ingredients. Lunch is a simple affair for me, so join me for lunch!
I used all the remaining ingredient I left from breakfast, which was firm tofu, 3/4 of the red and yellow capisum, carrots, green beans, half of the red onion, potatoes and sweet potatoes. That’s all the nutrients a person needs in a meal. You have the carbohydrates from the potatoes, proteins from the tofu and green beans and vitamin A from the carrots. So without further ado, Lets get cooking!
Tofu salad with chips!
- A pack of green beans
- A firm tofu
- 1/2 a Carrot
- 2/3 of yellow and red capsicum
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 or 2 potatoes
- A Sweet potato
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Your favourite salad dressing
- Oil for coating
- Wash and boil green beans! (As they take a while to cook…)
- Wash and slice the carrots into thin strips as I want to treat them as chips on my salad to give the dish a crispy texture!
- Place the carrots in the airfryer. Do not worry if you do not have this kitchen appliance, you could just place them on a baking tray, coat them with oil and bake them for about 5-8 minutes at 180 degree C.
- Slice your tofu into half then slice them length-wise and drop them into hot water and bath them for a little bit. They do not take long to cook, you just need to warm them up!
- Slice capsicum and red onion into long strip and toss them into your serving dish.
- Wash and cut sweet potatoes and potatoes into long strips. I did not remove the skin as I like eating potatoes with their skin on! If you do not like the skin on the potatoes, remove them!
- Coat the potatoes with oil and season with salt. I loaded them into my airfryer but again, you could bake the potatoes in the oven at 220 degree C and acquire the same texture and taste!
My chips were a side for my salad as I did not want the chips to turn soggy from the salad dressing.
- By now the beans should be done. When cooked, drain the beans and toss them into the serving dish with the capsicum and red onion.
- Pour your favourite salad dressing onto the vegetables. My favourite salad dressing is balsamic vinaigrette.
- Place the tofu on the sides of the serving dish and place the sliced carrots on top of the vegetables.
- Viola! Your salad is ready with chips as a side! A hearty meal with cheap, colourful and nutritious ingredients!
Lovely stuff was made with so little cash! I got inspired to do this challenge from my weekly walk to the market. The market is always buzzing with fruit vendors and old aunty and uncles gathering their fresh produces, bargaining for a cheaper price.
I hope you have enjoyed this series of breakfast and lunch for under $8! Till next time, Ciao~