Butter Cake. One of the most baked cake in my household. I remembered when I first started baking, it was the butter cake. A rich, light, soft butter cake. It is loved by all.
However there are always ups and down when it comes to baking. The very first try received loads of feedback, mostly on ways to improve the cake as it was dry. The 1 comment I remembered till today was told to me by my aunt. She told me to place a tray of water when the oven is on preheating. The water would create steam to circulate the oven, therefore, keeping the cake moist and light. I use that method in almost every cake I bake today as the product would always be moist and fluffy. And that’s the kind of result you want in your butter cake.
This butter cake recipe is very versatile. Like from my previous post on the rainbow cake, the cake base is butter cake with food colouring to give the colour! You can go creative and decorate the cake with cream, sparkles and many fancy things to indulge in this simple cake. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe for butter cake.
250 gm Butter (I prefer SCS or Golden Churn Brand) – softened
85 gm Castor Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Essense
A pinch of Salt
4 Egg Yolks
1 tbsp Milk
200 gm Cake Flour (if self-raising flour are used, just omit the 5 gm baking powder)
5 gm/ 1 tsp Baking Powder
4 Egg Whites
85 gm Castor Sugar
- Preheat oven at 175’c. Grease or line the 8″ baking pan.
- Sifted together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Beat together butter, sugar, salt and vanilla essense until creamy and light with mixer.
- Add in egg yolks, one at a time and beat until creamy. Add in milk and mix well.
- Fold in the sifted flour slowly spoon by spoon into mixture till well mixed.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk eggs whites till foamy then add in sugar gradually. Beat to a soft peak and fold 1/4 into butter mixture. Mix well and fold in the rest.
- Pour batter into baking pan and bake at 175’c for about 40-45 mins or until cooked(insert a skewer in the middle of the cake and it come out clean)
( Recipe credits from http://cookingcrave.blogspot.sg/2009/09/butter-cake-recipe.html# ) Cooking Crave blog has many other recipe, you should check it out while you’re there!! And by far, I always head back to Cooking Crave blog for their butter cake recipe!
There are many variation of the shape and sizes you could do with this cake. I don’t tend to follow the baking tray asked, hence I’m always out to try new and more shapes for my butter cake! I hope you enjoy this post and recipe as much as I do! And please comment if you gave this recipe a try and I would see you next Monday!! Good Luck and Have Fun!!
Oh! Just for this week, there will only be 1 post up. Fret not, I’ll make it up to you all! So for now, enjoy the post!!